As I mentioned earlier…a little water in the basement has prompted a great deal of projects to roll into production. The first line of business is making use of the scrap wood that we had left over after the stairs were rebuilt. Mr. Man and I created a lovely new box for my metal stamps. We also worked on a new box for the pantry. Both items looked a little too new for this 1920’s bungalow. So I turned to…vinegar and steel wool!
After a small panic attic, from the lack of change in the steel wool pad…I took the pad out of the vinegar and lightly rubbed it across the wood. I continued to dip the pad into the vinegar until I coated the entire box. The only real change was the wood looked a little wet.
I repeated this process once the first vinegar application dried. The next coat did begin to darken the wood a little and it also began to make the vinegar in the jar look a little dirty.
Since I have not yet developed a patient bone in my body…I placed the wet box in front of my little space heater. The process began to transform the wood almost like magic.
Here are the before and after pictures. The after picture is only after 30 minutes of being treated.
I think it will dry a little darker. Be sure to send me your pictures! I would love to see your projects transformed!